Friday 25 October 2013

Ultimate Breaks & Beats Figure


Saw this the other day in an email from RapAndSoulMailOrder and it looks so, so dope!

Ultimate Breaks & Beats (also commonly known as UBB) is a series of 25 compilation albums released betweeen 1986 and 1991 on Street Beat Records. The tracks included on the albums contain music from 1966 to 1984 that specifically featured drum breaks.

This actually has a special meaning to me because volume 503 was the first UBB album I ever bought. I remember getting it via mail order from Mi-Price Records (from an ad I saw in Hip Hop Connection) and listening to the album thinking 'this is just crazy!'.
It took me a while to get into breaks as they were so alien to hearing loops which was how my mind and ears had been trained to listen to hip hop.
But when I did...I loved it. And to this day if I hear any of the breaks from this album - and what an album - Got To Be Real, Dance To The Drummer's Beat, Bongo Rock, Give It To You, Pussy Footer and of course, hip hop's own b-boy anthem, Apache, then it brings me right back.


So this little doll is one of those things that I don't really need, can't really afford but really want as I know it would look the business rocking on my record shelves as well as all the memories associated.
Well, with Christmas on the way...who knows!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer - Important!

The links to MP3 files provided in these posts are to be used for previewing only. AGEING B-BOYS UNITE ™ does not keep the files here, this Blog is merely a gateway, an Information Desk if you will, to point you in the right direction. Once downloaded, all files should be destroyed within 7 days.