Wednesday 9 November 2011

R.I.P. Heavy D

Rap legend, Heavy D aka Dwight Arrington Myers - as I'm sure you must know now - passed away yesterday (8th November 2011).
It seems almost pointless posting about something that you already are aware of because what else can I add?
I just feel I should acknowledge the passing of one of the true heavyweights (no pun intended) in our culture in some way.
He was one of the good guys and liked by everyone. He was one of the heavy-hitters (again, no pun intended) of the industry responsible for mentoring Sean 'Puffy' Combs, he was also behind the early career of Mary J Blige and was the cousin of Pete Rock, too.

It doesn't seem right. Well, it doesn't seem right when ANYONE goes, right? But in Hev's case it really was too early, he was only 44 years old and was still working hard in the industry.

Bizarrely, a friend of mine sent me a link to his latest blog entry which contained this video below earlier in the day. I didn't actually read the title. Well, I did, but it didn't register - 'Heavy D – His Final Interview…'. Obviously, viewing it after I had heard the news made watching it even more painful and poignant.
Westwood - who I seem to be coming round to more and more after all these years of being another 'hater' - is in fine form and chats happily to Heavy D about the birth of hip hop, the tragic passing of Troy, working with Jay-Z, producing, touring the UK, Teddy Riley and Pete Rock.

RIP Heavy D



Respex due...Irish Craig

1 comment:

Ruse One said...

RIP Heavy D. I remember seeing him in Ditton in a small hall in 88. He moved around alot for a big guy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer - Important!

The links to MP3 files provided in these posts are to be used for previewing only. AGEING B-BOYS UNITE ™ does not keep the files here, this Blog is merely a gateway, an Information Desk if you will, to point you in the right direction. Once downloaded, all files should be destroyed within 7 days.